View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demigod07
Dawn Apprentice
New Poster

re: What would you do if your son was gay?

Hi all,

Interested to know what you guys think about this!

I'd think i'd have hard time adjusting to it since you can't do the classic father/son stuff.
But on the other side it is your own son and would not try to kick him out/talk him into being straight.

Japing
Forum Moderator
New Poster

I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't do 'classic' parent/offspring activities with a child of yours who was gay or bisexual; who someone is attracted to

doesn't generally affect the content of their character in any way, other than the effects of societal reaction. Fx. if my 'hypothetical' son was in an inter-racial relationship,

there's no reason we couldn't go tramping or play rugby or what have you.

As a parent, your job is to be there for your kids and hopefully raise them well, so that they're there for others.

Demigod07
Dawn Apprentice
New Poster

Some gay guys (people that i know).
Show a way more feminine side, hence why i mentioned the 'classic' father/son stuff.

Japing
Forum Moderator
New Poster

Demigod07 wrote:

Some gay guys (people that i know).
Show a way more feminine side, hence why i mentioned the 'classic' father/son stuff.

I don't think you should force your kids into doing something that they're not interested in ~ so if my kids want to go shopping, or watch theater or whatever rather than say snowboarding and hunting, I'd do my best to accomodate them and get involved! I suppose what I'm saying is that I wouldn't do anything, other than try and be a good, supportive dad. :)

Dawn Deku
Dawn Elite
New Poster

Speaking AS a gay guy :P me and my father did most of the "classic" father/son stuff whilst I was younger..
IE. Playing football, various other sports, giving me advice on my first girlfriend.. etc.

Even though I've always known I was gay, I still had girlfriends (as do most gay guys) for 2 reasons, 1- to make sure, because when you're younger you always hate that you are, and 2- as a disguise so people didn't know.

What I would do (If I had a son who turned out to be gay) is do exactly what I know he wants from being in that position myself.. 

I wouldn't treat him any differently at all, gay guys are still guys, there's no reason they can't do "guy" stuff and have fun. I was lucky to have a wonderful dad, who, aside from growing up my whole childhood with a slightly homophobic attitude from him, when I came out to him, was loving, supportive and not afraid to joke around about it whilst still being supportive when I needed it.

and for the prospective fathers: if you are concerned about it, let him come to you Happy everyone will tell you when they're ready, there's no need to make a big deal out of it, we don't come out to be made a fuss of, we come out as a way of reinforcing that people are okay with it. -> if you think the relationships are much different for gay guys, they're really not.. :P If you can give good relationship advice it will work for any relationship whether it be gay/straight ^_^

well i am a father a young father at that and ive thought about this everydaay almost since my son was born.

my view on this is that it is your role as a parent is to love, support and keep your family happy, thru the good times and the bad.

i would probably be dissapointed at first, but at the end of the day if he wants to take dancing or wants a same sex relationship,

if its those sorts of things that makes him happy then i would encourage him to keep doing the things in life that make him happy.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dawn Forum Index -> Off-topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: